We are blessed to live in Murphy, NC. A home where we enjoy moderate temperatures throughout all four seasons. However, that does not mean that you can’t prepare for extremely cold weather! Last year, we saw temperatures dip down to 0°! Now that winter is just around the corner, you should prepare and make sure your well is protected from freezing temperatures so you can enjoy a constant water supply throughout the winter.
Supplies you should gather and/or purchase:
- An extension cord long enough to reach from a power supply to your well
- A good quality utility light
- 40 watt STANDARD bulb – NOT a fluorescent or LED (you need heat, not energy efficiency)
- A Thermo Cube (optional – this simple device will turn the light on and off automatically as needed. It can be purchased on Amazon)
- You can opt to buy heat strips you can wrap around your well pipes from many hardware stores. If you go this route, you may not need the above items depending on its features. Personally, I prefer the lightbulb method. It is easy to test and ensure the system is working and also keeps the ambient air temperature in the entire well house/cover warm as opposed to strips that may only keep a certain spot warm.
Heres what to do with your supplies:
- Run your extension cord to the well and then plug in your Thermo Cube FIRST, if you opt to have one.
- Plug in your utility light next and leave it ON.
- Put the light and the plug under the protection of your well cover or house.
- And last but not least, keep your electrical parts elevated above ground in the event water does leak. You don’t want to damage any components should that happen.
Beside here is a picture of our well at home and you can see the utility light on and operational just left and below of the center of the picture. Be sure it’s not touching anything that can catch fire. It needs to be safely secured using zip ties or something similar. Put the well cover/house back over and, voila! You’re done!
Read our page on how to cheaply winterize your home so it is protected from freezing weather and temperatures.
Also read our page on how to unwinterize your house.
Good luck and stay warm!
Call The Poltrock Team – REMAX of Murphy NC – www.MyMurphy.com – JohnPoltrock@gmail.com – Call us Toll Free at 1-866-Murphy-NC or 1-866-687-7496 – Murphy’s #1 Real Estate Team