About a year ago, I wrote an article as to how Wildblue Satellite Internet was a great opportunity for folks in Murphy, North Carolina because it brings high speed Internet to anywhere in Cherokee County. Now I must tell you how poor my experience with them was.
After having them for a full year now, I can personally provide a testament to their disservice. Do not waste your time or money on them unless you have no other option. Although I’ve not used them personally, I would consider the other alternative company, Hughesnet.
Don’t get me wrong, Wildblue works fine when it is set up correctly. Their problem is customer service is atrocious at best. They are not willing to do anything to help the customer, If you do decide to use them, make sure you do a speed test and it has the amount of bandwidth you’re supposed to have before the technician ever leaves.
If you would like to know more details of the experiences I had, here they are in bullets:
- First sign was when I first got it, they were not willing to alter plans to show me the different speeds even though I was possibly willing to pay more. They wanted to bump up the plan, force me to pay for the entire month when I wanted less than ten minutes just to see if it was worthwhile to upgrade.
- I referred at least two clients/friends to them when I first signed up that I know for fact purchased their service. As part of their referral program, they agree to take $50 off your bill as an incentive to send them business. Both I know mentioned my name and told them about the referral. They never gave me one cent credit on my bill even though I called them and told them about it, who bought their service. They could easily verify it on their computer.
- After having it for a couple months, it caused problems switching back and forth between service providers. Example, going back and forth to the office was painful. I called and they had me change some setting. It helped some, but it took our office technician to actually fix it.
- After 4 months or so, I inquired as to why I was only getting half the speed of what I was paying for. The representative agreed there was a problem and asked if I would like a technician to come out and check the dish. Of course I would! Good – that will be a $99 charge. What??!! I didn’t touch the dish and it has been like this since the beginning? Even the phone company comes out and fixes the lines if you have problems. In the end they would do nothing to help.
- Blue Ridge EMC is running fiber Internet and I signed up with them around month 10 of the service just to have true high speed and began using it.
- Month 11 – I call to cancel. Can’t do it till closer.
- Month 11.5 – I called to cancel again. They agreed to send a technician out and fix it for free. Nope – too little too late. Offered a free month of service. Again, too little too late. Finally was able to cancel. Received a confirmation number (THANK GOODNESS I wrote it down) and made sure that I would get no more bills. Nope, Nothing, The end is what I was told.
- Today – I’m on hold with them having to fight a charge they told me they wasn’t going to happen. I don’t expect much help. Thankfully its on my American Express who will dispute it for me if I get no where with them. And now after holding for 50 minutes and 19 seconds, I’m hanging up with them and letting AMEX deal with it.