Marble is a community of Murphy, North Carolina and is located roughly half way between Murphy and Andrews NC. It was originally known as Marble Springs, which originated from the water that bubbled up along Hyatt’s Creek. Eventually, the name was shortened to just plain ol’ Marble. Still today, Marble Springs Baptist Church has held tight to Marble’s former proper name.
Interestingly enough, Marble was an incorporated town in 1914. It stayed a town for about 30 years – complete with a mayor!
Over the years, Marble had several manufacturing and/or industrial operations including a cheese factory, iron ore mines (and the ore was shipped to Philadelphia), lumber, sawmill, talc mill, grist mill, and much more. A common misunderstanding is that Marble was named after the marble mining operations that have been there for years. Certainly an understandable misnomer, Marble was well known for the marble mined there. They were famous for the “regal blue” and “sterling gray” marble.
Today, you still find several businesses and other things in operation today in Marble:
- TEAM Industries – this manufacturing plant mainly services the marine industry and specializes in right angle gear cutting and fractured connecting rods.
- Center for Applied Technology operated by Tri-County Community College – this is the old IOI building that was used for manufacturing. Today, our very own Tri-County Community College uses it to house their education and facilities for small businesses, electrical/electronics technology, machining, and HVAC (heating and air conditioning).
- Mulching Operation that sells mulch in large amounts (by the truck load)
- A new Dollar General retail store that just recently opened.
- TV and electronics repair
- US Post Office
- Marble Elementary School
Today, Marble is largely a residential area that is home to quite a few folks in Cherokee County. There are some gorgeous sections of Marble and is often favored for convenience to 64 and because it is situated between Murphy and Andrews.
***Note*** You can click the images below to see the larger version.
Are you looking to Sell Real Estate in Marble? Let us help you! Call us, email us, or Click Here to fill out our Sell My Real Estate! Form
Are you looking to Buy Real Estate in Marble? We’ve got you covered there too! 🙂 Click Here to Search ALL The Listings available for Sale! Just tell our system you want to be in Marble Community. Want us to find it for you? Then Call us, email us, or Click Here to fill out our Dream Home Finder.
The Poltrock Team – Murphy’s #1 Real Estate Team – RE/MAX Mountain Properties in Murphy NC – www.MyMurphy.com – John Poltrock@gmail.com – Call us Toll-Free at 1-866-Murphy-NC or 1-866-687-7496