If you leave your home in Murphy NC during the winter when the temperatures dip below freezing, it is a wise precaution to winterize your vacant home to prevent damage. This article will guide you when you are ready to get the water operational, it is quite easy to get it going. Follow these simples steps:
- If you drained your water heater, DO NOT TURN POWER ON to it just yet. If you do, you’ll likely burn out your elements.
- Turn your faucets on with both the hot and cold water running.
- Turn the main water line valve to your house back to the “On” position. This will allow water to flow into your home’s plumbing.
- You’ll hear a bunch of sputtering, spitting, and crazy noises as the air escapes the pipes. This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
- Let this go on till you no longer hear the sputtering of the air in the pipes and it sounds like normal, running water.
- Turn off all your faucets.
- If you drained your water heater, go to a faucet and turn the HOT water back on and allow it to run till you are certain there’s no air left. Once you are, turn power back on to your water heater. This is typically done by flipping the breaker in your power panel and/or by plugging in the pull switch above the water heater.
- Go through and flush your commodes and you’re good to go! To be double safe, turn off all faucets and listed for any running water to ensure you don’t have a leak. If you do, turn off your water main and call a plumber. Feel free to use our Gotta Guy List for recommended plumbers if you do not have one you prefer.
For more information look at our articles on winterizing your home .