If you’re looking to buy or have already bought land in Murphy, NC, then a big question for you should be, “How much does it cost to install a septic system in Murphy NC?” Although this is a loaded question because the price can vary on many factors, here’s a good idea as to what you can expect.
Some factors that can change the cost of your septic:
- Soil Type: this is a very detailed question, but think of it as is it rocky or just dirt?
- Terrain Grade or Steepness: Flat land or is it really steep? Steep land can cost more to install a system on.
- What type of system is your land permitted for by the Cherokee County Health Department?
- Required Materials and System to be Used
Whenever you buy a parcel of real estate in Murphy NC, we highly recommend you buy it contingent to getting a septic permit. Once you have that permit, then you have authorization to install the septic system the County specifies. Here’s what you can expect from various system types.
- Conventional Gravity Fed Septic System: Generally costs between $3,000 to $4,500. This system is usually the simplest, most cost effective method. It’s generally what most people think of when you have a septic installed. Regular maintenance is little and putting something like Rid-X down your commode once a month is all the regular maintenance you’ll need.
Conventional Septic System with a Pump
: Generally it costs between $6,500 and $8,000. They work very well and in fact, it was the type of system we had on our very first home. It works the same as a conventional gravity system with only one main difference. The waste water needs to go uphill in order to get to the drain field. Since it doesn’t run uphill on it’s own, another septic tank and pump system is required to get it there. The additional cost is in the extra tank, pump system, piping, and extra labor to make the system work. Regular maintenance is the same as a conventional gravity system. The only thing that can go wrong with it is the pump ceases to work for various reasons. They have a mandatory alarm installed to alert you when this happens. Many pumps are warrantied for 3-5 years.
- T&J Panel Septic System: Generally they cost $7,000 to $9,000. This system is relatively new and works like a gravity system in areas that have deep soil but few pockets of soil. Drain lines are not nearly as long. It works quite well and maintenance is similar to that of a conventional gravity system.
- Direct Discharge: $18,000 or more depending on requirements. This system acts like a municipal system in that it treats the water and ultimately dumps it into a body of water. The water (creek, river, lake) must have good water volume. After the waste water is treated, it is practically clean enough to drink. Periodic inspections by a qualified inspector and sometimes the Cherokee County Health Department is required – commonly in 6 month to one year intervals to ensure they are working properly.
- Drip Irrigation System: This is the most expensive system at an average cost of $20,000 to $24,000 to install and not just anyone can install them. In fact, as of this writing, there are only 5-6 systems running in Cherokee County, and they will become more common as time goes on. These systems are reserved for properties that have little soil suited for a septic. Soil pockets are usually not deep and drip systems are ideal for this situation. The lines lay on the soil or just below and “drip” waste water out on the drain area after it has been pretreated. Regular maintenance is required for these systems. Periodic inspections by a qualified inspector and sometimes the Cherokee County Health Department is required – commonly in 6 month to one year intervals to ensure they are working properly.
Now you have an idea of what to expect from various systems. It is important to bear in mind that every system is different and speaking to a qualified installer for the system you are looking at is the best idea. For a list of recommended contractors in Murphy NC, check out our Gotta Guy List. Who knew there could be so much involved in flushing a toilet!?
John Poltrock, Certified Residential Specialist – The Poltrock Team – Murphy NC Real Estate – REMAX Mountain Properties – www.MyMurphy.com – JohnPoltrock@gmail.com – Call us toll free today at 1-866-Murphy-NC or 1-866-687-7496